Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving = Giving thanks...............for everything.

Tomorrow we celebrate Thanksgiving Day in the United States. Traditionally, it is a time for getting together with family and friends to share a meal of Turkey and all the trimmings. I remember many Thanksgivings where I felt as overstuffed after the meal, as the Turkey was before we devoured it.

This year many are facing a much different Thanksgiving than they have ever known. Most of us personally know someone who is unemployed this year. It may be a family member, neighbor, friend or even yourself. Because of this you may be facing this Thanksgiving with sadness. I can understand this for I too have experienced these feelings, as I think of all those who are unemployed. One of the things that I hope comes out of this economic down is an understanding of what is truly important.

The past few days I have been contemplating the word thanksgiving. I realized that simply put it means to give thanks. In Ephesians 5:20 we read, "always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ". And again in 1 Thessalonians 5:18 it says, "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

This is a hard concept;.....giving thanks for everything and every circumstance, for this is God's will?......... Wow! What could these verses possibly mean? I can just hear someone tomorrow, as they say Grace, "Father, I thank you that I am unemployed this year.....I thank you that I am not able to pay my bills". NO, I don't think that this is what God meant by these verses.

I think he wants our prayer to be,

"Father, in spite of the fact that I am unemployed and that I have bills to pay, I know that You are still in control of my life. I thank you for I know that you have a plan and I also know that as I submit to your will I am changing into the person you want me to become.I pray for those who do not have this hope or understanding. I now have more compassion for those in need and I thank you for that. But most of all I thank you for being my God and for sending Jesus to us as the truth, the life and the way. I am learning that true peace and joy is not about what I possess, but in whom I place my trust. I am learning that this is a choice and I choose to place my trust in you, not in a job or the government, but in you and you alone.
In Jesus Name............Amen".

Tomorrow on Giving-Thanks Day I plan to concentrate on God's goodness and love. Psalm 136:1, "Give thanks to the Lord for HE IS GOOD, His love endures forever."

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!................Shalom, Bebe

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Praising with you,giving thanks to the Lord for HE IS GOOD, His love endures forever!

    A Blessed Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete