Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Shalom

I've been asked numerous times why I use "Shalom" in my e-mail salutation, since I am not Jewish. As a child of the 60's I was involved to a minor degree in the "Peace Movement" with it's peace symbols and all that entailed. You know what I mean; Peace symbol jewelry and 2 fingers held up in a victory symbol while greeting each other with the word "Peace" .

As I began to follow Jesus (Yeshua-Hebrew) and study more about his Jewish roots and how those roots applied to me as a believer in Him, I discovered this most wonderful Hebrew word, Shalom. Initially, I understood it as just meaning Peace. I was reminded of how I used the word "Peace" in the 60's as a greeting. But as I dug deeper I learned that this beautiful word encompasses so much more. It means, in addition to peace; tranquility, safety, well-being, welfare, health, contentment, success, wholeness, integrity and comfort..............This word is meant as a blessing each time it is used......With that said, may you have a Shalom filled day!

1 comment:

  1. Shalom Bebe, On my journey of being a follower of Yeshua, I found myself seeking the truth very digilently. It led me to a sincere love for the Jewish community and for Israel. The people, the land and the language is amazing, but the culture
    took me back quite a few steps. They are a loving people and love their land and tradition of how God set it up in the beginning. Amazing!
    Till we meet again, Shalom my dear friend...

    ReplyDelete